Updated: Sep 21
Kickstart the NEW Year with the 4 S's for OPTIMAL HEALTH: Smoothie, Soup, Salad & Stew.
For some reason, when I think of WARMING soup, I think of tomato soup! But typically tomato soup is made with heavy cream, butter, salty broth and served with a huge chunk of cheesy bread! Not the healthiest preparation, but "Yum", right?
Years ago I set out to create a delicious tomato soup recipe that packs a nutritional punch too! (yes, we are sneaking extra veggies into the soup to add nutrients AND flavor)
So without further ado, HERE WE GO!
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 onion, diced
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-2 tablespoons tomato paste
-1 teaspoon dried oregano
-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 lrg organic golden beet peeled and chopped
- 4 lrg organic carrots chopped (washed not peeled)
-4 cups vegetable broth
-1 cup plain coconut or organic plain Greek yogurt
-2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
-1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
-Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the tomato paste, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
3. In a second pot, boil the carrots and beets the vegetable broth until tender.
4. Combine pots and add the vegetable broth and diced tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the basil and plain coconut or greek yogurt.
6. Use an immersion blender or regular blender to purée the soup until smooth.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Follow @smallhinges for more recipes and tips!
Love & yum,